Tamilnad Mercantile Bank
The history of Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Ltd., the then Nadar Bank Ltd., dates back to 1921. The thought of establishing a bank under the guidance of the able Nadar business community was mooted out in the Anniversary of Nadar Mahajana Sangam held at Tuticorin in 1920. The proposal was effected soon. The bank was registered on May 11, 1921as “The Nadar Bank Ltd”.
The bank initially known as “The Nadar Bank Ltd.” became a Scheduled Bank under the Reserve Bank of India Act on May 11, 1935. The Nadar Bank Ltd., changed its name to the Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Ltd., on Nov 26, 1962.
The bank was having only 4 branches until the year 1947 at Tuticorin, Madurai, Sivakasi, and Virudhunagar. The bank had also a branch at Colombo in the year 1937 and the same was closed in the year 1939. The bank has now 509 full-fledged branches all over India, 12 Regional Offices, 11 Extension Counters, 6 Central Processing Centres, 1 Service Branch, 4 Currency Chests, and 1151 Automated Teller Machines.